Toffee is so harmful for me to have round the home. Nobody ought to eat as a lot as I do when it’s accessible.
However for particular events, I’m very happy to bust out the sugar and whip up a batch!
This nutty, chocolate-covered toffee is the quintessential vacation deal with, good for nibbling on the finish of a giant meal or gifting to a buddy.
Video! How you can Make English Toffee
What’s English Toffee?
I make this traditional English toffee with sugar, butter and contact of salt. A skinny layer of chocolate over the toffee makes it much more of a deal with, plus there are nuts in each the toffee itself and sprinkled over high.
Concepts for Swaps and Substitutions!
I take advantage of chopped toasted pecans in my toffee, however be at liberty to omit the nuts or substitute one other nut as an alternative.
I additionally go for darkish chocolate chips as a result of toffee is fairly candy and the darkish chocolate helps steadiness that sweetness. However be at liberty to make use of no matter chocolate you wish to eat. White, milk or darkish chocolate are all good!
Ideas For Toffee Perfection
Making toffee isn’t very troublesome, however it may possibly really feel scary if you happen to don’t do it fairly often. Listed below are just a few tricks to make it simpler:
1. Get a good sweet thermometer:
Sure, you possibly can go by the colour of the caramel to gauge when it’s prepared, or you possibly can drop a spoonful in a glass of water to see if it varieties a ball. However why fuss with both possibility when a sweet thermometer prices $8 and is such a greater strategy to assure a profitable, scrumptious batch of toffee?
For those who’ve by no means used a sweet thermometer earlier than, this recipe is an effective place to start out. It’s pretty forgiving and doesn’t require many steps. Simply warmth the sugar, butter, and corn syrup to between 295F to 305F (arduous crack stage), and also you’re finished.
2. Relating to toffee, corn syrup is your buddy:
The corn syrup on this recipe helps forestall the sugar from crystallizing. This offers you yet one more layer of insurance coverage when making this toffee.
3. Nonetheless nervous? Place a bowl of ice water close to the range:
This manner, if you happen to do unintentionally spill some scorching caramel in your hand, you possibly can instantly plunge your hand into the water.
Please don’t let any of this scare you away from making toffee. It’s considerably simpler than you may assume, and the reward on your bravery will likely be all of the English toffee you possibly can eat!
From the editors of Merely Recipes
How you can Maintain Toffee from Getting Grainy
Toffee will get grainy when a stray sugar crystal will get within the melted combination because it cooks. There are just a few methods to forestall that from occurring.
- Rub the within of the pot with butter so sugar cannot cling to it.
- Add the sugar within the heart of the pot, so it doesn’t contact the edges.
- As soon as the combination involves a simmer, cease stirring, put a lid on the pan, and let it simmer 2 minutes to dissolve any stray crystals.
- Use a moist pastry brush to brush away any sugar that splashed onto the edges of the pot.
How you can Stop the Layers from Separating
Hardened chocolate can separate from the toffee layer for just a few causes.
- Use chopped chocolate as a substitute of chips, and the chocolate layer will likely be extra more likely to stick. Chocolate chips have a non-melting coating to assist them preserve their form. However once they soften, the coating can forestall the chocolate from sticking to the toffee.
- Typically the chocolate melts at a temperature that makes it shrink when it hardens, pulling it away from the toffee layer. In case your chocolate is not melting or spreading simply on the new toffee within the sheet pan, use a hair dryer to re-melt the chocolate till it is workable. Or pop the pan in a 300°F oven for a minute or so.
How you can Regulate This Recipe for Altitude
This recipe was written for sea stage. Cooks residing at altitude might want to cook dinner their toffee to a barely decrease temperature. Search for the temperature water boils at on your elevation, then subtract that from 212°F. The quantity you get is what number of levels you must subtract from the 295 to 305°F vary given within the recipe.
How you can Retailer & Freeze Toffee
The toffee will preserve a minimum of 2 weeks at cool room temperature, saved in an hermetic container with layers separated by waxed paper. Add a silica gel packet if you happen to can (the type that is available in shoe packing containers!), which absorbs moisture and helps preserve the toffee from getting sticky. Or refrigerate the toffee as much as 3 months.
Are you able to freeze toffee? Sure! Freeze it in an hermetic container, with layers separated by waxed paper, as much as 3 months (or longer—we all the time ate it by then!)
Love Toffee? Attempt These Different Candies!
Up to date November 23, 2020 : We added a brand new video that will help you make one of the best toffee ever! No modifications to the unique recipe. Get pleasure from!