Over the weekend, I had an article printed within the New York Occasions Actual Property part about that point I almost burned the home down with a extremely dumb electrical error:
I used to be down in my unfinished basement engaged on some music, and my fingers had been too chilly to play the guitar. So I grabbed a space heater that I used to be long-term testing for Wirecutter, positioned it on the wood workbench the place my audio workstation was arrange, and plugged it into the closest energy strip — the one my Marshall amplifier was additionally plugged into.
I turned the heater on and waited 5 seconds. The facility strip blew up.
What follows—the precise helpful, related half—is a few useful recommendation I’ve discovered (from first-hand expertise, in addition to interviews and analysis) about correct security on the subject of residing with an area heater. As extra folks will likely be spending extra time at dwelling this winter, it is necessary to be sure to do not do something dumb like me in your pursuit of staying heat.
Alternatively: thermal underwear, a sweater, and a pair of gloves are a good way to remain heat with out the dangers to your property and planet, or the rise in your electrical invoice.
How Not to Burn Down Your House With a Space Heater [Thom Dunn / New York Times]