Since its inception in 1970, silly string has become synonymous with birthday parties, festivals, and other celebratory events. Available at most party supply stores, the can of fun comes in a variety of different colors and is shot through an aerosol can. Whether you are using it for a surprise birthday party or letting the kids run amuck with it, here are a few tips and tricks to keep in mind when using this party favorite.
- When first sprayed, silly string is flexible and can stick to virtually any surface. After spraying it, the bright colored mess can be easily removed by simply wiping it. Once dried, it may become more difficult to remove.
- If using outdoors, avoid spraying at, near, or around cars. The dye in the string could potentially stain or damage the paint on cars.
- To remove dried strings off a car, use WD40 or a similar solvent, which can dissolve and remove the the neon remnants without inflicting damage to the car.
- If by accident some is sprayed onto a fabric (such as clothing or upholstery) from a distance of two feet or less, it can stain so avoid spraying it point blank.
- Use vinegar or a commercial stain remover to remove a stain on clothing or upholstery.
- For Halloween or other events held at night or in dark venues, glow in the dark silly string makes an ideal party favor. Glow in the dark cans work best under black lights.
- Make up new games using silly string or play classic favorites such as tag marking your victim with the brightly colored spray, or capture the flag using the string.
- Silly string is the perfect way to entertain and celebrate on certain holidays. For example, instead of throwing confetti, spray it during a New Year's Eve countdown or have an outdoor war with it at your annual Fourth of July barbecue.
Silly string is a great way to be festive, but there are also a lot of other great products that can turn an ordinary party into a completely hoppin 'party!