“Getting Rich Your Own Way” by Brian Tracy is a solid text on succeeding in your financial matters. With the advice Tracy gives in this book, the reader can create a road map to financial success. With some hard work and sweat, the reader can achieve success from that road map.
Over the years, I’ve enjoyed many of Tracy’s books and audio programs. I’ve also enjoyed seeing him speak on dvds a time or two as well. I found this book especially insightful into what it takes to achieve fortunes, or as the title says, get rich.
Do not misstate this book for some get rich quick scheme. In fact, Tracy states that it may take patience and it will certainly take effort. But if you have the right attitude and are willing to do what it takes, Tracy’s advice and guidance in this book will help you along your way to riches beyond what you currently have obtained.
The book starts with a very motivating introduction where Tracy covers topics such as the difference between success and failure, starting with nothing, how you can do it, the differences between rich and poor and the encouragement that you can learn what you need to learn.
The book then has ten chapters that cover the following topics:
1. Learn How to Become Rich: Why people don’t become rich, five ways to stay poor, five ways to become rich, definition of wealth, find a need and fill it, big fortunes and small ideas, one idea is all you need, maximize your assets, and become a no-limit person.
2. Become a Money Magnet: Change your thinking, change your life, all causation is mental, expect the best, become a living magnet, as within, so without, the laws are neutral, what you put in determines what you get back, negative thinking drives money away, think like the rich think, settle in for the long haul, learn what you need to learn, the great truth, you will see it when you believe it, resolve to pay the price, not for everyone, get serious, take charge of yourself, you must want it badly enough, your reasons why, make your goals specific, think long-term, give yourself a raise, the magic of visualization, control you inner dialogue, practice affirmations, you can do it, feed your mind with mental protein, get around the right people, sleep on it, imagine your ideal life, the golden hour, million-dollar habits, the rudder of the day.
3. Invest for Success: The financial planning school, invest the way the wealthy invest, your own business, income-producing real estate, land held for development, liquid investments, stocks and bonds, investment alternatives available to you, where to put your money conservatively, investing in the stock market, mutual fund investing, different ways to invest, and guard your money carefully.
4. Start with Nothing: The golden chain, the statistics are dreadful, four steps to financial success, five ways to become wealthy, the starting point of riches, pay yourself first, work hard and save your money, attract the money you want, starting with nothing, pleasure and pain, the wedge strategy for financial success, don’t lose money, strategies of the wealthy, change your personality, the truth about entrepreneurship, reasons for business failure, business success is predictable, get on-the-job experience, learn while you earn, five keys to business success, use your job as a springboard, do your research, practice the 10/90 rule, study successful companies, five rules for entrepreneurship, network marketing opportunities, money in your mailbox, get wired, start small, trade time for experience, seven steps to business success, be action-oriented, take a chance, and seven steps to financial independence.
5. Build Your Own Business: The failure rate is high, seven principles for business success, the factor of three, questions you must ask and answer to succeed in business, the great marketing questions, getting into the game, test your idea before you invest, fast, cheap market research, test-market your product or service, how to build a profitable business, and business opportunities are everywhere.
6. Market and Sell Anything: Marketing and sales defined, the marketing mix, five rules for selling anything, anywhere, five questions you must answer, selling your product or service, multiple ways to sell, start small, grow slowly, master the art of selling, control the revenues, opportunity gap analysis, getting free publicity, opportunities everywhere, and just do it.
7. Get the Money You Need: Ignorance holds you back, lack of money, money is available everywhere, determinants of credit, choosing the ideal business for you, and you can start today.
8. Think and Grow Rich: You are a potential genius, why creativity is so important, use more of your intelligence, multiply your results, as within, so without, stimulate your thinking, the qualities of genius, thinking more creatively, ways to get rich your own way, clarity is essential, and evaluating your ideas.
9. Learn From the Best: Copy the best in your business, qualities of the great ones, think like a champion, follow the leaders, the qualities of leadership, find your own acres of diamonds, become an apprentice, rent or buy the knowledge you need, ask for advice, study successful companies, and learn by trial and error.
10. Lead the Field: Three pathways, the common denominators, secrets of health, wealth, and happiness, put your career onto the fast track, and become a no-limit person.
As you can see, this book covers a lot of area. And not ever area may apply to your situation, but I’m sure you will find advice and suggestions by Tracy that if applied will better your financial future. Additionally, the ideas presented in this book may help you think of things you have never thought of before, or maybe in ways you haven’t thought of yet. Most of all, the motivation and practical advice found in this book should get you working toward your financial goals so you can live a better life and enjoy more than before.
Additionally, this book is not the be all and end all regarding the above topics. But it gives a good overview and it will point out the areas that will help you most and you can then find resources that go deeper into the topics that you most need to learn. This is an excellent introduction to wealth, and contains many proven strategies for success. The only thing is that you have to act on the information provided, and if you do, you can’t help but be more successful.