Hi there and welcome again to Equity, TechCrunch’s enterprise capital-focused podcast, the place we unpack the numbers behind the headlines.
Natasha and Danny and and Grace have been all right here to speak via the week’s rigamarole of reports. Alex took some well-deserved day without work, however that meant we received to poke a little bit enjoyable at him and create a Particular Version section to begin off the present.
Jokes apart, this week was one more spree of creator financial system, edtech, and new fund bulletins, with recent and sudden information hailing from Natasha’s residence state, New Jersey.
Right here’s what we received into:
- Field received a lifeline within the type of a $500 million check from KKR, and as Danny mentions, Field CEO Aaron Levie shifts his function a bit, too.
- Patreon, an early startup within the creator financial system area, has tripled its valuation to $4 billion. One other, not-so-old startup with the identical reported valuation? Clubhouse. We threaded the road between the 2, and gave some colour on a new monetization feature rolled out.
- As an apart, seems to be like Clubhouse is everyone’s favorite app to tweet about a lot in order that even Twitter is reportedly contemplating an acquisition.
- MasterClass raising new funding at $2.5 billion valuation. That’s up from a $800 million valuation simply final 12 months, and reveals that aspirational educating packaged as celebrity-taught Youtube-like movies with Netflix-like high quality is sufficient to be thought-about edtech.
- Talking of edtech, a sequence of exits have caught our consideration. The consolidation has begun!
- We spoke about two new funds. First, New Jersey is proposing a $10 million fund that might go to Black and LatinX founders. Second, Index raised nine-figures for seed startups, beating Sequoia’s seed fund by a measly $5 million.
- The present closed with two early-stage funding rounds you don’t need to miss – Walnut and Real – in addition to a dialog on the way forward for telehealth.
What a present! We’ll be again with the complete trio subsequent week, and till then, keep protected and thanks for listening.