Home made Caramel Corn-sweet and crunchy caramel popcorn is simple to make and all the time a favourite snack! It’s an important make-ahead recipe for a events, recreation day, film nights, or reward giving!
We make popcorn nearly each single week. It’s our boys favourite snack. They love munching on massive handfuls whereas we watch films, sports activities, or play household video games. We often do common popcorn with butter and salt, however typically we splurge and make marshmallow popcorn, kettle corn, peanut butter popcorn, or Home made Caramel Corn.
Caramel corn actually is the king of all popcorns. Candy, salty, buttery, crunchy…it has all of it! It’s such a deal with and it’s straightforward to make at dwelling. You don’t want a sweet thermometer for this caramel corn recipe and it’s made with primary pantry substances.
You do bake the caramel corn at a low temperature within the oven (stirring often) so the caramel sauce can soften in a fair coat over the popcorn. You need each piece of popcorn to be coated in caramel. Baking additionally crisps up the caramel popcorn in order that it’s not sticky and soggy.
This recipe makes quite a lot of popcorn and could be made prematurely, making it an important snack for events or reward giving! We love making caramel corn through the fall months and for the vacations. It’s an important candy snack to have round.
Children and adults love grabbing handfuls of this candy popcorn. Just a bit warning, when you begin snacking, it’s exhausting to cease! This caramel corn is TOO good, ha!
Caramel Corn Substances
- Popcorn– you have to 10 cups of popped popcorn. I like to make use of air popped popcorn. I really like this popper. Ensure you don’t embrace any popcorn kernels, no person desires to chew into a tough popcorn kernel.
- Butter– use unsalted butter since you are including salt to the recipe.
- Brown sugar– be sure you use recent brown sugar so your caramel doesn’t come out grainy. At all times pack your brown sugar when measuring.
- Gentle corn syrup– corn syrup prevents the sugar from crystalizing and turning into grainy.
- Kosher salt– a should for popcorn!
- Vanilla extract– love vanilla!
- Baking soda– the key to retaining the caramel from getting rock exhausting!
- Flaky sea salt– for sprinkling on popcorn. That is optionally available however so good! I really like a superb candy and salty combo!
The way to Make Caramel Popcorn
- Preheat the oven to 250 levels F. You need the oven at a low warmth so that you don’t burn the popcorn.
- Line 2 massive baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat baking mats. You’ll be able to place the popped popcorn on the baking sheets and put it within the oven when you make the caramel sauce so the popcorn is heat. This can make it simpler for the caramel to stay to the popcorn.
- In a medium saucepan, soften the butter over medium warmth. Add the sugar, corn syrup, and salt; and stir till clean. Deliver the combination to a boil, stirring continuously. As soon as the combination is boiling, let it boil for 4 minutes with out stirring.
- Take away instantly from the warmth and punctiliously stir within the vanilla extract and baking soda. The combination will bubble up.
- Place the popcorn in a big bowl, it must be an enormous one so it’s straightforward to stir. In the event you don’t have a extremely massive bowl, you should utilize two bowls.
- Pour the new caramel over the popcorn. Use a spatula to softly stir till the popcorn is effectively coated.
- Switch the popcorn to the ready baking sheets, ensuring the popcorn is in a fair layer.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring each quarter-hour, to verify the caramel is evenly coating all of the popcorn.
- Take away from the oven and sprinkle with sea salt, if desired. Let the popcorn cool on the baking sheets. Take pleasure in!
The way to Retailer Caramel Popcorn
As soon as the caramel corn is totally cool, you possibly can retailer it in an hermetic container on the counter for as much as 3 weeks. It’s a nice make forward snack for events or reward giving as a result of it retains so effectively. Plus, everybody loves it!
If you wish to make the caramel corn additional particular, you possibly can drizzle it with melted chocolate after it has cooled. Use your favourite chocolate, milk, semi-sweet, darkish, or white chocolate are all good choices. After you drizzle the chocolate, be sure you let it sit till the chocolate hardens. Then, you possibly can retailer it in an hermetic container.
Caramel Corn FAQ’s
What sort of popcorn do I exploit for making caramel corn?
I like to make use of air popped popcorn. You’ll need 10 cups for this recipe. I like to recommend utilizing natural popcorn kernels. I feel they pop up higher. The popcorn is bigger, lighter, and extra fluffy!
In the event you don’t have an air popper, you can also make popcorn in a brown paper bag within the microwave. Add ¼ cup of popcorn kernels to a brown paper bag, fold the highest over to lure the steam inside, and microwave it on excessive warmth for 2 to 3 minutes. You want 10 cups of popcorn so you’ll have to make just a few luggage.
You should use microwave popcorn. In the event you use film theatre butter popcorn the flavour will likely be barely totally different. And naturally, you possibly can pop the popcorn in a pot on the stovetop.
What number of popcorn kernels do I want?
You’ll need about ⅓ cup of popcorn kernels to get 10 cups.
Why do you add baking soda to caramel corn?
Add somewhat baking soda to the caramel proper after it comes off the range. The caramel will react with the acid (the brown sugar and corn syrup) and bubble and get foamy, filling it with air.
After the caramel cools on the popcorn, the air bubbles contained in the caramel will create a softer texture and hold the caramel from turning rock stable. The caramel is crunchy, however nonetheless barely gentle in texture, making it straightforward to chew into.
Can I add nuts to caramel corn?
Sure! After the caramel corn has cooled, you possibly can stir in peanuts, cashews, pecans, or almonds.
Why is my caramel corn chewy and sticky?
It’s important to bake the caramel corn at a low temperature, stirring steadily, so the popcorn will get evenly coated in a skinny layer of the caramel. Baking will even crisp up the popcorn. Ensure you enable the popcorn to chill fully, it would get crispier because it cools.