Baked Spaghetti- this hearty baked pasta dish is a family favorite! The spaghetti is layered with a meaty sauce, lots of cheese, and baked until bubbly. Don’t forget the garlic bread!
Pasta is on our dinner menu almost every single week. We are always mixing it up, but we have our favorites. My boys love Spaghetti and Meatballs, what kid doesn’t? They also love Baked Spaghetti, especially when garlic bread is served on the side. It is a regular dinner at our house!
This baked spaghetti recipe is similar to lasagna, but it comes together in a lot less time. Spaghetti noodles are layered with hearty meat sauce, a creamy ricotta mixture, and lots of mozzarella cheese. Bake until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
This is such a cozy and comforting recipe. It makes a great weeknight meal or is a good dinner to serve guests when you are entertaining.
It is also a good meal to take to loved ones who are grieving or just had a baby. It’s a classic dinner that everyone loves and it reheats well too. Leftovers are the best!
Baked Spaghetti Ingredients
All of these ingredients come together in one pan to create the most amazing pasta dinner!
- Spaghetti– you can use regular spaghetti noodles or gluten-free pasta.
- Ground beef or Italian sausage– this dish works well with ground beef or Italian sausage. You can also use ground turkey. If you want a vegetarian option, you can leave out the meat and add in sautéed veggies or roasted vegetables.
- Olive oil– for sautéing the onion and garlic.
- Onion– onion adds great flavor!
- Garlic– every Italian dish needs garlic.
- Marinara sauce– you can use our easy marinara sauce, slow cooker marinara sauce, or use your favorite jarred sauce. Rao’s is our favorite.
- Diced tomatoes– I add in tomatoes with the marinara sauce for more tomato flavor and to make sure the spaghetti isn’t dry.
- Herbs & Spices– dried basil, oregano, and a dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- Cheese– you will need ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese! The three cheese combo is amazing!
- Egg– mix the egg in with the ricotta cheese!
- Fresh basil– for garnish!
How to Make Baked Spaghetti
Let’s get this pasta party started!
- First, cook the spaghetti to al dente, according to package instructions. Don’t over cook it or it will be soggy after baking in the oven. Drain. If the noodles are going to be sitting for several minutes, you can drizzle a little olive oil over them and toss so they don’t stick together.
- Cook the ground beef or sausage. Drain off excess fat and set aside.
- Cook the onion in the olive oil until translucent. Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant.
- Add the marinara sauce, tomatoes, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Turn to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir the cooked beef or sausage into the sauce.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, egg, and Parmesan cheese.
- Spray a 9×13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and assemble the baked spaghetti. You are going to layer the noodles, sauce and cheese!
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and the cheese is melted and starting to brown. Don’t cover it with foil. You want the cheese to get brown and a little crusty.
- Remove from the oven and garnish with extra Parmesan cheese and fresh basil, if desired.
- Cut into squares and serve warm. It’s ok if some spaghetti slurping happens. It’s all part of the fun!
What to Serve with Baked Spaghetti
Here are a few side dishes that pair well with baked spaghetti.
And if you want to finish your meal with dessert, I highly recommend my flourless chocolate cake or skillet chocolate chip cookie.
How to Store Baked Spaghetti
Let the spaghetti cool and then store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The leftovers are always a hit at our house! My boys will eat this one every night:)
You can also freeze the baked spaghetti for up to 3 months in a freezer container. Thaw and reheat.