We’re big followers of Wikipedia. The nonprofit group represents the most important assortment of information collaboratively accrued in a single place — ever.
Whereas the idea of a free, community-managed, on-line encyclopedia had been round for a while, Wikipedia, as we all know it now, formally started with its first edit on Jan. 15, 2001, two days after the area was registered by Jimmy Wales and Larry Sanger.
Whether or not over the past 20 years you have used Wikipedia for examine or for work, to fulfill random bursts of curiosity, to settle arguments, or to cheat at Zoom quiz nights, we’re all indebted to the wonderful free service.
So as to rejoice Wikipedia’s twentieth anniversary, we’re sharing 20-plus details concerning the free encyclopedia that you just by no means knew you by no means knew…
1. Wikipedia’s stats are jaw-dropping. It at present has greater than 55 million articles throughout greater than 300 languages.
2. There are greater than 280,000 editors who take time to contribute to Wikipedia each month.
3. The Wikipedia service is accessed by 1.5 billion distinctive gadgets from world wide each single month.
4. There’s a Wikipedia Monument (or “Pomnik Wikipedii” in the event you wished to name it what the locals do) situated in Słubice, Poland. The statue was designed by Armenian sculptor Mihran Hakobyan and pays homage to Wikipedia contributors. It was unveiled in Frankfurt Sq. in October 2014.
5. We guess you possibly can’t guess who the primary particular person to have a Wikipedia web page created after them. Not a present movie star or international determine — considerably randomly, 18th-century Scottish thinker Thomas Reid.
6. Enhancements to Wikipedia pages about vacation locations and cities can have an influence on tourism, probably rising the variety of nights vacationers select to remain in a metropolis by 9%, in line with Italian researchers.
7. Clicking on the primary hyperlink in the principle textual content of a Wikipedia article, after which repeating the method for subsequent articles, will virtually all the time result in the Philosophy article. In February 2016, this was true for a staggering 97% of all articles in Wikipedia.
8. In 2017, astronaut Paolo Nespoli recorded his spoken voice whereas aboard the Worldwide House Station to be used on his Wikipedia article — a small step for him, however a large leap for the Wikimedia motion. This milestone was the primary time content material had been made in area particularly for Wikipedia.
9. Wikipedia is one of many prime 10 most visited web sites globally, however is the world’s solely main web site run by a nonprofit group.
10. Print Wikipedia was an artwork mission by Michael Mandiberg that printed 106 of the 7,473 volumes of English Wikipedia because it existed on April 7, 2015. The mission exhibits the spines of the primary 1,980 volumes within the set, supplemented by 106 precise bodily volumes, every of which runs to 700 pages. The desk of contents takes up 91 700-page volumes. The mission was proven on the Denny Gallery in New York Metropolis in the summertime of 2015.
11. Numerous Wikipedians love plushies, simply check out the Wikimedia Cuteness Association. That is run by the “Board of Cuties” — which incorporates Peter the Platypus — with a purpose to “encourage the participation of plush toys and to advertise cuteness within the Wikimedia motion.”
12. On many language editions of Wikipedia, editors present appreciation for one another by giving one another digital “barnstars.” On the Ukrainian language version, they’re digital tins of condensed milk — and typically they ship them IRL.
13. Love Wikipedia a lot you need to put on your affection for it in your sleeve? You kinda can. For its 2020 spring/summer time line, the French vogue home Études collaborated with the Wikimedia Basis to develop a line of Wikipedia-themed attire, together with cozy hoodies and baseball caps.
14. Over 18,000 individuals at greater than 1,260 occasions world wide have participated in Artwork + Feminism edit-a-thons, ensuing within the creation and enchancment of greater than 84,000 articles on Wikipedia and different Wikimedia initiatives.
15. One extremely devoted editor has remodeled 47,000 edits to appropriate the phrase “comprised of.” The editor, Giraffedata, explains their reasoning behind the mission in nice element here. Nevertheless it’s mainly as a result of “comprised of” is taken into account poor English.
16. Nearly 7 million individuals supported Wikipedia with a donation final 12 months. Let’s hope it is much more this 12 months.
17. Yearly, Wikipedia contributors world wide manage Wiki Loves Monuments, the world’s largest picture competitors. Over 60,000 individuals from over 40 nations have contributed over 1.7 million pictures of cultural heritage since 2010. It nonetheless passed off in 2020, however underneath Covid-safe tips.
18. Every article on Wikipedia has a clear revision historical past. You’ll be able to return in time to see how each article was written, step-by-step.
19. Individuals who work on Wikipedia are referred to as Wikipedians. Constructing the world’s largest database of data with individuals from throughout could be difficult. Wikipedians write guidelines, tips, and essays to assist different individuals perceive being a Wikipedian. “No indignant mastodons”, an essay, suggests that you just shouldn’t edit once you’re hungry or intoxicated. Strong recommendation.
20. One of many first Wikipedia articles ever written was for the usual poodle. It merely stated, “A canine by which all others are measured.” The English Wikipedia web page for poodle is now greater than 6,000 phrases, and consists of the various phrases that folks have invented to call poodles crossed with different canine breeds, together with; Labradoodle, Poochon, Cockapoo, Spoodle, Maltipoo, Goldendoodle, Schnoodle, Pekapoos, Cavapoo, and Bernedoodle.
21. Wikipedia has an asteroid named after it. The 274301 Wikipedia is a Vestian asteroid orbiting within the internal area of the asteroid belt. It measures roughly 1 kilometer (0.6 miles) in diameter.
22. Wikipedia develops at a charge of over 1.9 edits per second, carried out by editors from all around the world. So, if this took you 5 minutes to learn, 570 edits had been made on Wikipedia by the point you reached the top of this record.
We hope you have loved these Wikipedia-themed details and also you now know extra concerning the free encyclopedia than you probably did earlier than. We’re definitely very grateful for the 20 years of free reference content material we have loved from Wikipedia and want to want the fabulous nonprofit group all the easiest for the following 20…
With due to the Wikimedia Basis for his or her assist with analysis for this text.